Tuesday 29 January 2013

Are there any ecological hotels in Berlin?

I got an email from my aunt that she is coming to Berlin with a friend of hers. I got the task of finding them a cosy small ecological hotel which is reasonably priced - sound like an easy task in an eco-minded city like Berlin. What is eco anyways? That you offer organic & fair trade breakfast? Organic cotton bedsheets? Recycled furniture? That the staff is being treated in a fair way?

What I found out is that it's not easy to find out info on how ecological the different hotels are, as they stress different points on their own websites and on those reporting about them. It looks like if your search "eco hotel Berlin" you find only Landmark Eco Hotel that offers luscious green views and by the way, it's certified "eco hotel with everything that goes together with that" which doesn't mean much...I also found the helpful site of Berlin goes green, where you can find their reviews on some services. Would be nice to know where the information comes from - if the Green League reporter tells that the Bleutreu flowers are fair trade and all the materials in the hotel are chosen keeping an eye on their sustainability, why they wouldn't mention that on the hotel's website?  

When I continued the search on the German pages, I bumped to better options. If I chose a place for myself, I would choose a hotel like Almodóvar - they principles seem to correspond to what I would call transparency..yes for vegetarian, organic and regional food, sustainable energy and natural cosmetics!

For further readings I found Bio-Hotels, the biggest organic hotel group with an informative website..after all this searching I felt like relaxation so I dreamt of my next sauna visit at Top10 page (one of my favourites to find out new locations in Berlin).

No comments:

Post a Comment